Tennis | Apia International Sydney 2015

Tennis | Apia International Sydney 2015 

South Wales Open, now known as the Apia International Sydney, is one of the oldest tournaments in the world, dating back to 1885.

The Sydney Cricket ground was the first venue for the New South Wales Open, followed by a location at Double Bay and then White City, which hosted the championships for an amazing 76 years up to and including 1999.

In 2000, the tournament moved to its fourth home, the state-of-the-art Sydney Olympic Park Tennis centre where it is played to this day.



Caroline Wozniacki 2.0

Playing at the WTA Finals in Singapore against Serena Williams in the semifinals, Caroline Wozniacki ripped a forehand down the line and then smacked a crosscourt forehand winner off the short reply.

“She is being so aggressive,” an approving Tracy Austin observed in her commentary, as Wozniacki surged even further ahead in the first set.

“Before she relied just on her defence, her consistency and placement, now she’s hitting with conviction and really pushing her opponents around.

“Honestly, I think she’s playing better (now) than when she was No.1 in the world.”

High praise indeed. And there was merit to the comments – it was hard to remember a time when the Dane had ever played with such attacking flair.

And even though she eventually lost in a third set tiebreak to Williams – the player who went on to win the tournament and cement the year-end No.1 ranking – the week in Singapore had capped a stunning return to form in 2014 for the popular 24-year-old.

“Five months ago didn’t look like I was going to be here, even though I always believed it,” she said of qualifying for the elite eight-player season-ending championship.

“The way I’ve been playing the last five months really brings me some great momentum into next year. Gives me some confidence.”

Her new year will start at the Apia International Sydney, where, at world No.8, she is one of six top 10 players competing. And she has certainly come a long way since her last visit to Harbour City.

Almost a year ago to the day after celebrating New Years Eve in Sydney, Wozniacki announced her engagement to golfing star Rory McIlory; four months later, the relationship ended. Shortly afterward Wozniacki fell in the opening round of the French Open, her ranking in danger of falling outside the top 20.

Showing admirable courage and resolve, Wozniacki began to rediscover her form on grass at Eastbourne, where she beat Sam Stosur and Sloane Stephens en route to the semifinals. This results was quickly followed by a fourth-round run at Wimbledon.

It set the stage for a stunning North American summer hardcourt season. Arriving in Montreal fresh off the WTA title in Istanbul, she reached the quarterfinals before winning through to the semifinals in Cincinnati, falling at both events in three torrid sets to Williams. She was even better in Flushing Meadows, beating reigning Roland Garros champion Maria Sharapova on the way to her first Grand Slam final in five years.

Beginning with Eastbourne to start the second half of the season and ending with her aforementioned performance in Singapore, Wozniacki’s compiled a magnificent win-loss record of 34-10, including six victories over top 10 opponents.

“I think I can be really proud of how I’ve handled everything this year, how I’ve fought back,” she said.

“I think I’ve proved to myself that I’m a really strong person and that I can keep improving my game. I’m just really happy that I’ve learned so much from this year. It’s been a very, very meaningful year for me and very learningful. Can you say that? (laughter)

“I’m serving well, I’m running well, I’m staying aggressive when I have to, and I make the right decisions at the right moment. And I enjoy playing.”

The former world No.1 will attempt to continue her rich vein of form when she begins her 2015 season at the Apia International, an event at which she will make her seventh appearance and where her best results were quarterfinal finishes in 2009 and 2012.

If her hardcourt form, newfound aggression and on-court confidence are to persist, Wozniacki will be tough to beat.

“I’m really pumped. I’m really excited for (2015),” she said.

“I think the way I’ve been playing lately, I think that’s proof to myself that I can keep improving and playing better and beat anyone who is on the other side of the net.”

Want to see world No.8 Caroline Wozniacki in action at Apia International Sydney 2015? Get your tickets through Ticketek now!



Del Potro confirms Sydney return

Juan Martin del Potro has confirmed that he will begin his 2015 season at Apia International Sydney.

The Argentine, the defending Apia International champion, has not played since February 2014 due to a wrist injury.

He was expected to make his return at the Brisbane International, yet delayed his comeback.

“Hello everyone!!! I wanted to tell you that we decided to travel to play Sydney and the Australian Open,” he tweeted on Wednesday evening (Australian time).

See story


WHERE: Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre

Rod Laver Drive,
Sydney Olympic Park
(off Australia Avenue)

View Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre on Google Maps

WHEN: 11 – 17 Jan 2015

http://www.apiainternational.com.au/event-guide
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment